Re: Can you connect to a MySQL database on a server from a workstation?

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 10:07:29AM -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> >Bear in mind that by default, Debian's mysql server packages only
> >listen on localhost so are not available across the network until
> >you change that.
>
> I thought I read somewhere that tcp/ip was set on by default.  I will
> have to configure it to turn it on then.  Is this just a configuration
> flag or do I need to recompile the source?

Normally you find this part in /etc/mysql/my.cnf:

# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
bind-address           = 127.0.0.1

This causes mysql to only listen on localhost.  If you comment it
out and restart it will listen on all interfaces.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB