[SOLVED] Re: Can you connect to a MySQL database on a server from a workstation?

Eric A. Bonney wrote:
I want to use mysql for my storage in Amarok. I have created a db down on my server (in the basement), but now I can't figure out how to get my other workstations to connect to the server. I have tried typing in the name of the server and I have tried using the actual ip address of that machine and it won't work. I have checked and made sure that the user connecting to the database is allowed to connect from any source and still nothing.

I have also tried connecting to the MySQL server using MySQLAdmin from my laptop and I can't figure that out either. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
-Eric

Well I found the answer to this finally. It appears that in MySQL's config file there is a line bind-address 127.0.0.1. Well I wanted it to be bound to more than one address, but it doesn't appear that you can do that. (If someone knows how, please let me know. :) ). So I just commented out that particular line and all is working as planned.

-Eric