Re: Can you connect to a MySQL database on a server from a workstation?

Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Eric,

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 05:19:14PM -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
I want to use mysql for my storage in Amarok. I have created a db down on my server (in the basement), but now I can't figure out how to get my other workstations to connect to the server.

Bear in mind that by default, Debian's mysql server packages only
listen on localhost so are not available across the network until
you change that.

Once you have changed it and have added a user with privileges to
connect from your workstation(s), you probably want to test that
access from the workstation with the mysql client:

$ mysql -h your.mysql.server.host -u username -p databasename

Until this part works, you haven't got it set up correctly.

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks  Andy,

I thought I read somewhere that tcp/ip was set on by default. I will have to configure it to turn it on then. Is this just a configuration flag or do I need to recompile the source?

Thanks,
-Eric