Re: burning a CD for distro from an archived iso file...

From: "Miguel J. Jiménez" <MiguelJose.Jimenez@isotrol.com>
To: Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: burning a CD for distro from an archived iso file...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:57:44 +0200

Michael Fothergill escribió:
OK, I went in the /tmp area and to my pleasure I found the unmessed with iso file. So I dumped it in the CD burner and now I have the CD I need. I have moved the iso file to my/home directory in case I find there are errors in the CD I burned when I come to install the OS..... In Debian Etch installations I run the installer and check the integrity of each CD before I install with them. There are some MD5sum things in the repository but I am not sure how to use them to check the integrity of the CD I burnt.

Maybe the new distro has been modified enough so it will properly check the integrity of the CD itself. I will try it....

Now I can delete all these silly files created by this silly archive software that nobody knows what to do with anyway....

Thanks

Regards

Michael Fothergill

The md5 files are to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO:

$> md5sum <filename>

Hang on a minute. Does this mean I download some md sum files as well as the iso file and then put the iso file and the md sum files in the same directory and then run md5sum <mydistro.iso>?

If so, and even if the iso file is error free and if the CD burner thinks it has burned the CD perfectly, there still could be errors in the CD image...

I test for these by loading the CD into the computer, booting with it, loading the DEbian installer and then running the CD integrity check. I have found errors in CD images by doing this. There was nothing wrong with the isofiles I downloaded because burning the CD images for a second time from them resulted in a perfect CD image that passed Debian installer integrity test and successfully installed the OS.........

Is there a way to use md sum files to check CD image itself once it has been burnt not just the iso file after it was downloaded?

Regards

Michael Fothergill

It will take some time to check... the hash must be equal on both ends :-)

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Miguel J. Jiménez                                                   |
| Programador Senior                                                  |
| Área de Internet/XSL/PHP                                            |
| migueljose.jimenez@isotrol.com                                      |
:---------------------------------------------------------------------:
| ISOTROL, S.A.                                                       |
| Edificio BLUENET, Avda. Isaac Newton nº3, 4ª planta.                |
| Parque Tecnológico Cartuja '93, 41092 Sevilla (ESP).                |
| Teléfono: +34 955 036 800 - Fax: +34 955 036 849                    |
| http://www.isotrol.com                                              |
| "Aquellos que mueran mañana serán los que hayan sobrevivido hoy."   |
| Dusty Attenborough, La Leyenda de los Heroes de la Galaxia          |

<< mjjimenez.vcf >>

Win tickets to the sold out Live Earth concert!  http://liveearth.uk.msn.com