Re: cryptsetup: Source device /dev/sda7 not found

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 11:29 +0200, Valentin wrote:
> > Does editing /boot/grub/device.map not fix this?
>
> I don't know, haven't tried that. But wouldn't that just change the
> drive grub boots from? grub's working fine, after all. It's the kernel
> that can't find the disk... Or does the kernel read from that file?

I suppose that if you're satisfied with the way grub numbers the disks,
there's no need to modify device.map.

Perhaps one of these options needs changed (in /boot/grub/menu.lst):

If it is the kernel root= parameter that you have to change:
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/md0 ro vga=791

Or if it is the default device that grub boots from (not this if grub
boots the kernel okay):
## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd1,0)

If you run update-grub and the boot entries do not need to be corrected
afterward, you've fixed the problem.