Re: [solved] exim4 config (?)

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
William Pursell <bill.pursell <at> gmail.com> writes:
I'm still confused as to why gmail is in the picture at
all when I run mailx.  I did set smtp.gmail as my smtp
smarthost when I ran dpkg-reconfigure, but the only
reference to gmail in /etc/exim4 is in
update-exim4.conf.conf (via grep -iRe 'gmail\|google' *)
Surely the only affect that
file has is on execution of dpkg-reconfigure, no?

If you did set up GMail for smarthost, and are having
trouble with that, this might help:

http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

I say this because you seem to have added "a" line to
passwd.client, while you may need 3. But if this is
not the issue, then I don't get your question correctly.

Thanks for the link, and thanks to all who responded.  It
turns out the problem is not my configuration.  The tests
are indeed going to my google account, but were NOT
being popped.  I checked the web interface, thinking
to look through the spam box, and they
were sitting there in my inbox!  I'm not sure why
those messages aren't getting popped, since everything
else was.  I did initially have an authentication
issue, as mails were getting returned to me in
/var/mail, but I believe the link above enabled me
to fix that.