exim4 config (?)

I'm not sure if the following problem is an exim4 configuration
issue, and I'm hoping for some pointers on where to look.

I normally use icedove and pop my mail from gmail, and things
work fine.  When I tried to send mail using:

$ mail somebody@somewhere.com < file

The mail was returned to me with:
SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<me@myhost.localnet> SIZE=2522:
    host gmail-smtp.l.google.com [64.233.183.109]:
    530 5.5.1 Authentication Required d23sm9741312nfh

I was a bit surprised that mailx was trying to contact google,
so I looked through /etc/exim4 and didn't find any references
at all to google.  I then added my gmail account to
/etc/exim4/email-addresses and sent an email
using mailx to my google account.  After about 12 hours,
that mail has disappeared.  (ie, I haven't gotten a Mail delivery
failure, and I haven't received the email.)

What am I missing?  Bottom line: I want
the ability to send email by redirecting a file into
/usr/bin/mail.  The easiest solution that allows me
to do that is welcome.