Re: exim4 config (?)

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 09:30:59PM +0100, William Pursell wrote:
> I normally use icedove and pop my mail from gmail, and things
> work fine.  When I tried to send mail using:
>
> $ mail somebody@somewhere.com < file
>
> The mail was returned to me with:
> SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<me@myhost.localnet>
> SIZE=2522:
>     host gmail-smtp.l.google.com [64.233.183.109]:
>     530 5.5.1 Authentication Required d23sm9741312nfh
>
> I was a bit surprised that mailx was trying to contact google,
> so I looked through /etc/exim4 and didn't find any references
> at all to google.  I then added my gmail account to
> /etc/exim4/email-addresses and sent an email
> using mailx to my google account.  After about 12 hours,
> that mail has disappeared.  (ie, I haven't gotten a Mail delivery
> failure, and I haven't received the email.)

I don't use gmail but my dial-up ISP requires SMTP auth over an
unencrypted connection.

You need your email address in /etc/email-addresses so that exim will
rewrite your from line correctly.

You need a correct line in /etc/exim4/passwd.client

I also needed to add a file to /etc/exim4/conf.d/main called
	000_localmacros

which contains the line:

AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = TRUE

Without which, exim will not send a password since the connection is not
encrypted; the password goes out in the clear.

Good luck.

Doug.