Re: problems with totem

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 16:23 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 19:47:52 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> > Just to remember, I have audio in totem, video is absent. The funny
> > thing is that I can see clips at youtube with iceweasel...
>
> You can easily encounter situations in which, due to incomplete support
> of codecs, the audio works but the video does not. The fact that
> flashplayer can display video output suggests to me that your problem is
> due to the codecs used in the other files.
>
> [...]
> [...]
>
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QM [Radeon 9100]
>
> [...]
>
> > (EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
> > (EE) RADEON(0): Failed to open framebuffer device, consult warnings and/or errors above for possible reasons
>
> That might cause problems if the video player tries to use the
> framebuffer device for playback. Unfortunately I know neither totem nor
> ATI video cards well enough to comment any further on that.

I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and set the framebuffer option to
NO. Now the output of egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't
contain any error message. But totem continues with its black screen...

> [ snip: Your XVideo setup looks OK to me; supported image formats are:
>   RGBA, RGBT, RGB2, YUY2, UYVY, YV12, I420 ]
>
> At the moment I think you are missing some video codecs. Check which
> totem package you have installed by running
>
> dpkg -l totem\* | grep ^ii

I have totem-xine installed

> If you use totem-xine make sure that you have libxine1-ffmpeg installed.

this library doesn't exist... even in debian-multimedia.org

> You can add Christian Marillat's debian-multimedia repository to your
> /etc/apt/sources.list and install the packages gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-full
> and w32codecs to get support for most of the common non-free codecs.
> (w32codecs is only available for the i386 architecture.) Further
> instructions are available on http://www.debian-multimedia.org.

I installed w32codec and totem continues to refuse to show any video
output with *.wmv clips...

About a month ago, I installed etch in a sony-vaio laptop. Totem ran
fine out of the box, without any codec installed by me... is the
totem-xine version, the same as in the desktop with problems. The laptop
has a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video card, so, runs the same driver from
x.org as the desktop...

I will continue to look for a solution... may be installing another
program

Thank you very much for your kind help

with the best regards

Marcelo