Re: problems with totem

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 19:47:52 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 23:01 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 14:53:11 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have done a fresh install of etch. When i try to view a video with
> > > totem, nothing is shown, the totem screen is black, but sound is ok. I
> > > can listen the sound but nothjing appears in totem screen. This happens
> > > with video files in mpg, mov or even with a dvd film (after installing
> > > libdvdcss2 (1.2.9-0.0))
> > >
> > > Any help will be very welcome
>
> Just to remember, I have audio in totem, video is absent. The funny
> thing is that I can see clips at youtube with iceweasel...

You can easily encounter situations in which, due to incomplete support
of codecs, the audio works but the video does not. The fact that
flashplayer can display video output suggests to me that your problem is
due to the codecs used in the other files.

[...]

> ~/misc/media$ totem myclip.mpg
> [mpeg4 @ 0xb6874f08]frame skip 8
> ~/misc/media$
>
> > Also, check ~/.xsession-errors after you try to play a video.
>
> Nothing is written in that file after running totem.

[...]

> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QM [Radeon 9100]

[...]

> (EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
> (EE) RADEON(0): Failed to open framebuffer device, consult warnings and/or errors above for possible reasons

That might cause problems if the video player tries to use the
framebuffer device for playback. Unfortunately I know neither totem nor
ATI video cards well enough to comment any further on that.

[ snip: Your XVideo setup looks OK to me; supported image formats are:
  RGBA, RGBT, RGB2, YUY2, UYVY, YV12, I420 ]

At the moment I think you are missing some video codecs. Check which
totem package you have installed by running

dpkg -l totem\* | grep ^ii

If you use totem-xine make sure that you have libxine1-ffmpeg installed.

If you use totem-gstreamer make sure that you have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
installed.

These packages should give you access to all the codecs which can be
supported by free (libre) software. Unfortunately there are some
commonly-used codecs in the Windows world which cannot be included in
Debian main due to legal reasons (license fees, patents, etc.).

You can add Christian Marillat's debian-multimedia repository to your
/etc/apt/sources.list and install the packages gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-full
and w32codecs to get support for most of the common non-free codecs.
(w32codecs is only available for the i386 architecture.) Further
instructions are available on http://www.debian-multimedia.org.

          Florian   |