Re: problems with totem

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> You can easily encounter situations in which, due to incomplete
> support of codecs, the audio works but the video does not. The fact
> that flashplayer can display video output suggests to me that your
> problem is due to the codecs used in the other files.

The proprietary Flash plugin uses no hardware acceleration whatsoever,
if the problem is with hardware overlay, then it is perfectly possible
that the Macromedia plugin would work and other video players would not.

> > (EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
> > (EE) RADEON(0): Failed to open framebuffer device, consult warnings
> > and/or errors above for possible reasons
>
> That might cause problems if the video player tries to use the
> framebuffer device for playback. Unfortunately I know neither totem
> nor ATI video cards well enough to comment any further on that.

By default most players try Xvideo as it is well-supported. Depending
on which version of totem (gstreamer or xine) the OP is using, the file
~/.gnome2/totem_config could be helpful.

> [ snip: Your XVideo setup looks OK to me; supported image formats are:
>   RGBA, RGBT, RGB2, YUY2, UYVY, YV12, I420 ]
>
> At the moment I think you are missing some video codecs. Check which
> totem package you have installed by running
>
> dpkg -l totem\* | grep ^ii
>
> If you use totem-xine make sure that you have libxine1-ffmpeg
> installed.
>
> If you use totem-gstreamer make sure that you have
> gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg installed.
>
> These packages should give you access to all the codecs which can be
> supported by free (libre) software. Unfortunately there are some
> commonly-used codecs in the Windows world which cannot be included in
> Debian main due to legal reasons (license fees, patents, etc.).
>
> You can add Christian Marillat's debian-multimedia repository to your
> /etc/apt/sources.list and install the packages
> gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-full and w32codecs to get support for most of
> the common non-free codecs. (w32codecs is only available for the i386
> architecture.) Further instructions are available on
> http://www.debian-multimedia.org.

Playing the video with Mplayer should provide enough information to
stdout to know if ffmpeg is missing codecs that the OP needs.

I am not convinced that the problem is not with Xvideo--perhaps the OP
should try editing totem_config to use standard X11 output (e.g. no
hardware acceleration) or use 'mplayer -vo x11 <file name>' to test.

- --
Andrew J. Barr

Ronald Reagan: America's answer to Inspector Clouseau