Re: Cron job not cooperating

Tom Scrape wrote:
> My /etc/cron.daily contains the problem file:
> root@spider:/etc/cron.daily# ll pflogsumm-daily.cron
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 354 2007-06-06 08:49 pflogsumm-daily.cron

> Cron.log shows nothing:
> root@spider:/var/log# cat cron.log |grep pflogsumm
> root@spider:/var/log#

Err...

The program is not executed by cron but by run-parts (which is
executed by cron, if that matters, via /etc/crontab).

Programms in /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly,hourly} are executed
regularly via run-parts.  Their name doesn't appear in the logs
since it's not cron that executes them.

For testing purpose, try executing it standalone, and maybe add
debug output (echo "$(date) script started" >> /var/log/daily.log)
and inspect the log after the daily jobs have been run.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto