Re: I want to install lenny from scratch

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 01:32:42AM +0530, arijit wrote:

> I am almost new to debian. I was using ubuntu before but due to crashes
> I switched to debian recently ("etch" is my first debian experience).
> After using etch I found it as the most stable linux OS I have ever
> used.
>
> Recently I was looking in the debian forum. I came to know that "lenny"
> is almost as stable as "etch" and also it has latest packages. So I want
> to use "lenny" instead of "etch".

Be vary careful.  Search the recent archives for content (not thread
title) mentioning "lenny" or "testing".  Read the debian-reference to
see the difference between sid (unstable), testing (now lenny), and
stable (now etch).  Since you're new to debian, be especially careful.
In testing, things break and then it takes a few days (10 or so?) for
any fix added to sid to percolate down to lenny.  If that breakage
happened to be in a program you relied upon, you would have that
breakage for at least that long.

Since etch is recently stable, what is it you're needing that etch
doesn't have?

Doug.