Re: I want to install lenny from scratch

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 12:18 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
Be vary careful.  Search the recent archives for content (not thread
title) mentioning "lenny" or "testing".  Read the debian-reference to
see the difference between sid (unstable), testing (now lenny), and
stable (now etch).  Since you're new to debian, be especially careful.
In testing, things break and then it takes a few days (10 or so?) for
any fix added to sid to percolate down to lenny.  If that breakage
happened to be in a program you relied upon, you would have that
breakage for at least that long.

Since etch is recently stable, what is it you're needing that etch
doesn't have?

Doug.

ok, i'll do that before update.
I saw in debian-forum, that 'tetsing' is not bad as 'unstable' and 'lenny' is usable for regular users now. I can understand that something will break sometimes. since I am using linux at my home pc, i am okay with that.
By the way, since I am new to debian, I always plays with it and sometimes it breaks even in etch (i am a newbie). so I'll be prepared for that.
anyway thanks for your advice.
I'll do the transition after evaluting my all options.

--
Arijit Sarkar
Kolkata, India

Gnome on Debian GNU/Linux