Re: I am ANGRY with Debian.

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:56:03AM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> On 2007-05-31, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > About a year ago, there was a GR (general resolution) that Debian had
> > and it said 'GFDL without invariant sections' are DFSG-free while 'GFDL
> > with invariant sections' is not. Read info on the vote.
>
> That's all fine and good, and I've been persuaded to see the Debian
> perspective on this. However, there would be fewer angry users if the
> package maintainers put the non-DFSG stuff into non-free _before_ they
> excised it from main.

Put it in non-free and put it as suggests by the main package.
Otherwise, one has no way of knowing when installing a package that it
doesn't come with useful documentation (which I believe breaks the
spirit of debian policy).  I especially hate man pages that basically
tell nothing about the program and say something to the effect "this
man page was written for debian because the origional package did not
include a man page and we want to avoid bug reports".  A useless man
page is still a bug in my book.

Instead of focusing on having more and more packages, we should be
focusing on the quality of what we've already got.  Such quality would
include quality docs.  Documentation seems to be the bane of many/most
free/open software distros.

Doug.