Re: XFS Filesystem problem

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Andreas Grabner wrote:

Am Dienstag, den 22.05.2007, 22:23 -0400 schrieb Greg Folkert:
On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 23:39 +0000, George N. White III wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007, Greg Folkert wrote:
can anybody explain the following to me? It happens in full production
use. Should i change back to ext3

At one time, XFS on i386 hardware was known to be fragile, especially when
using IDE disks.  If you wanted to use XFS, you needed to build a kernel
with ample stack space due to nesting of calls with long argument lists
when handling errors under heavy I/O.

What hardware and kernel are you using for XFS and what sort of I/O loads
do you have?

2 Segate Disks ST3400620A (IDE) with Software RAID1 and LVM on it.
Standard Debian SMP Kernel
Linux storage01 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Wed Apr 18 09:55:10 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux
2 * Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (dual core) on Intel Board

I/O loads produced by moving a lot of files via samba through a
100Mbit/s link

I'd want to do some serious testing before using XFS in your environment. Is there a reason you can't use ext3? XFS is needed in situations where you are losing data and or money while systems are down (remote sensing and other time-critical high-volume data collection, numerical simulation, video production, etc.). I'd venture that most heavily used XFS systems are not using (register-starved) ix86, and are using SCSI, FC, or SAS storage. You aren't getting the full benefits of all the testing that has been done.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>