Re: XFS Filesystem problem

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 23:39 +0000, George N. White III wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007, Greg Folkert wrote:

> >> I can't explain it since I've never had a kernel error and never used
> >> XFS.  Not that I'm suggesting that they go together :).
> >>
> >> Personally, I use JFS with flaky power and have never had a problem.
>
> Some people have played Russian roulette and didn't have a problem on the
> first couple pulls of the trigger.   The ones that did haven't been
> posting on usenet.
>
> > I can say the same about XFS.
>
> At one time, XFS on i386 hardware was known to be fragile, especially when
> using IDE disks.  If you wanted to use XFS, you needed to build a kernel
> with ample stack space due to nesting of calls with long argument lists
> when handling errors under heavy I/O.
>
> What hardware and kernel are you using for XFS and what sort of I/O loads
> do you have?

Even back on 2.4.12 (or was it 2.4.4 or something like that... with the
VM problems also kicking in issues) when this was true, I still had zero
problems ON i386 AND IDE drives... just not Western Digital IDE drives
as XFS would trigger the firmware on the drives to have difficulties.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05