Re: (OT) Looking for Cell Phone/PDA Recommendations

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 20:59, Rob Sims wrote:
> How about the Wing?  I'm reasonably happy with the predecessor, the MDA.
> You need to download Java if you need it (I did it to try an app, so I
> know it works).
>   - 2 MP camera (though the 1.3 MP on the MDA is quite poor)
>   - Bluetooth works with all earpieces I tried (Jabra, Motorola,
>     Logitech), Garmin GPS 10, ActiveSync to PC, and using the phone as a
>     modem.  3rd party freeware to redirect system sounds to bluetooth
>     works.  Logitech headset best in wind, and cheap.
>   - slide-out keyboard; on-screen keyboard and character recognition as
>     well.
>   - PocketPuTTY for ssh; password auth only.  Terminal emulation works
>     with mutt well.
>   - 802.11b (MDA has g enabling registry hack; Wing, b/g)
>   - Display poor in bright light (MDA)
>   - tcpmp makes a great media player
>   - Any mp3 file for a ringtone (per contact, too)
>
> I plan on trying the Wing soon.  The manual is on-line under the support
> tab.

Rob,

I looked at the Wing, and it is very thick - really much to thick to carry on
a belt and even in a pants pocket. It is also very heavy. From a feature
standpoint, it is a super phone/pda. But, IMO, it fails as a portable phone.
Just too much to carry around all day. When I put it in my pocket in the
store 2 things happended - three sales guys started to follow me and I felt
as if I were listing to starboard as I walked around the store, it was so
heavy and bulky in my pocket...;-)

I also think they took away the touch screen, but I may be wrong on that
point.

They are available in T-mobile stores if you want to try one out. Let me know
what you think.

Thanks!

Mark