Re: (OT) Looking for Cell Phone/PDA Recommendations

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 04:37:20PM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I need to buy a cell phone/pda, and I am looking at the T-Mobile Dash (
> http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/dash/index.htm). However, I use Debian,
> KDE/Gnome and Kontact, so the Windows Mobile OS is not very appealing.
>
> 1. Is there a way to synchronize my Kontact contacts, calendar, email, etc.
> with Windows Mobile devices?

You could try synce-kde; I have not tried it.  I sync my Windows Mobile
contacts & calendar to XP.  Email is via imaps to my self-hosted server.

> 2. If not, any recommendations for a phone/pda that will synchronize with
> Kontact?
>
> In addition, I would like to have:
> * 1.3-2 megapixel camera
> * wireless ear piece
> * ability to locally download Java Midlets that I create
> * compatible with US T-Mobile network
> * QWERTY keyboard or touchscreen keyboard

How about the Wing?  I'm reasonably happy with the predecessor, the MDA.
You need to download Java if you need it (I did it to try an app, so I
know it works).
  - 2 MP camera (though the 1.3 MP on the MDA is quite poor)
  - Bluetooth works with all earpieces I tried (Jabra, Motorola,
    Logitech), Garmin GPS 10, ActiveSync to PC, and using the phone as a
    modem.  3rd party freeware to redirect system sounds to bluetooth
    works.  Logitech headset best in wind, and cheap.
  - slide-out keyboard; on-screen keyboard and character recognition as
    well.
  - PocketPuTTY for ssh; password auth only.  Terminal emulation works
    with mutt well.
  - 802.11b (MDA has g enabling registry hack; Wing, b/g)
  - Display poor in bright light (MDA)
  - tcpmp makes a great media player
  - Any mp3 file for a ringtone (per contact, too)

I plan on trying the Wing soon.  The manual is on-line under the support
tab.
--
Rob