Re: [Very-OT] rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:18:59 -0400
Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:31:01PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > So, then, lets say that a member of Islam has a very "provocative, but
> > very accepted in their culture, quote."
>
> I assume that you mean as a signature.  In the body of a message it
> would only be appropriate if the recipient of the message shared the
> culture.  That recipient could be via the list if the discussion were on
> topic and the rest of us would understand that it was a
> culturally-specific comment.
>

> > Are we going to censor that?
>
> Unless that comment was derogitory of another culture.  There are many
> instances of two cultures being antagonistic to each other where
> sayings/jokes/comments common in one are offensive to the other.  Such
> comments would be inappropriate to this list.

Lots of sigs are "derogatory of another culture" - those mocking
religion, or liberal / conservative / other political views.
> > What kind of retaliation is that going to endure?
>

> > You seem to forget, what may be TOTALLY acceptable to one culture, may
> > in-fact be COMPLETELY offensive and unacceptable in another.
>
> We are a muticultural community.  I live in an officially multicultural
> country.  If someone says something that another finds offensive, then
> it is discussed to determine if offense was intended.  Assuming it was
> not, then a simple rephrase is all that is required.  That and not using
> that phrase again.

> > Such is the case with advertising, ads that go over *VERY* well in the
> > UK, are seen as stupid and offensive in the US. And the US ads in the
> > UK. So by your reasoning, All ads should become very drawl and
> > ineffective in any medium?
> >

> We don't do ads on debian-user.  Ads, by their nature, are trying to

The code of conduct doesn't actually ban advertising [0]. It bans UBE
(spam), but says nothing, AFAICT, about sending a non-bulk, targeted
advertisement to the list. Of course, many sigs (including mine), are
absolutely advertisements, although usually not for commercial products
or services, but rather for FLOSS stuff, or for political points of
view.