Re: CM-Stacker plus... (was Re: getting a new Debian box)

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 05/20/07 15:02, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 06:07:33PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/19/07 08:05, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
[snip]
I only make a computer every 10 years or so.  I went a little
bleeding-edge at the time, and got a huge CM-Stacker case with all the
extra fans, 600W PSU, two drives for raid1 and Athlon64 CPU.  Cost $1K
Sounds pretty noisy.

Actually, very quiet.  I let the MB handle the fan speed on the
cross-flow (1"x12" squirl-cage), CPU, 80 mm blowhole, and two 80 mm fans
in the upper PSU bay.  The CM iGreen 600W PSU is in the lower bay with
its big quiet fan.  The front of the case is made up of 4-in-3 modules
each with a 120mm quiet fan powered by a drive molux.  My GPU is fanless
and the M2N-SLI Deluxe MB has no fan other than the CPU.

According to a previous post, you only have one HDD?

Are there 5.25->3.5 converter rails, or only the 4-in-3 modules?
Seems to me that having 5.25->3.5 converter rails would allow more
air-flow above and below the drives.

Which video card did you get?

How well is that mobo supported by Lenny?  Did you have to use the
Sid installer?  Any other gotchas?

The Newegg customer reviews of that particular board said "Great Linux board" and "Linux Friendly" without specifying the distro, but given the popularity it would be my first choice.

Hugo

The CPU fan is the only one I hear (high pitch directional) but I don't
want to void the AMD CPU warranty by using an after-market fan.

The only time I really hear the fans is on start up when everything goes
to high speed.  Otherwise, everything's on low speed with case temp ==
ambient and CPU and GPU temp at 40 C.

My _first_ consideration (other than not going bankrupt) was longevity,
hense the huge case, PSU in bottom bay, and lots of fans.  Good reliable
fans also seem to be quieter than cheap unreliable ones.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA