Re: getting a new Debian box

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 09:51:46PM -0700, Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:

> So I decided to get a desktop. I need some advices.
>
> I use computer primarily for reading/writing emails, browsing internet,
> occasional openoffice.org use, watching movies on dvds or any mpeg
> movies. Most other times I spend sitting in emacs writing some code. I
> don't play computer games or use any 3D graphics applications.
> So I figured, I don't need a very fast and expensive graphics card, a
> lot of memory, the latest CPU or biggest HDD. This Desktop Computer is
> going to be used primarily for writing and compiling my code.
>
> So, my first question is: does it make sense to build my own Debian box,
> or for my purposes it's not necessary? From what I checked on the
> internet today some manufacturers offer prebuild computers for less
> price than I think I will be able to build it using the same parts. Any
> comments would be appreciated.

Hello Alexandru,

I went through this six months or so ago.  I looked at the cheap
pre-build boxes and found that they were cheap for a reason, so I built
my own.  Get a good case with good cooling, a good PSU, a single good
drive (I got a Seagate 80 GB SATA as the smallest I could find), and a
$40 graphics card.  Get an Asus board, any CPU, one stick of ram, and
you're done.

I only make a computer every 10 years or so.  I went a little
bleeding-edge at the time, and got a huge CM-Stacker case with all the
extra fans, 600W PSU, two drives for raid1 and Athlon64 CPU.  Cost $1K
Cdn at the regular local business store.  Would have been a lot cheaper
over the internet.

For what you need, any new CPU will work, 512 MB is fine and 1 GB is
overkill (unless X starts hogging memory).

The other thing to consider is a used computer.  Just as an expensive
example, IBM certified-used NetVista P4s go for around $400.

I could do everthing except watch a movie and install Etch on my 486.  I
could do everything on my PII execpt that both were short on memory.

If you get anything but a new computer that uses DDR2 ram, load it up
with ram before it gets hard to find.

Good luck,

Doug.