Re: [Very-OT] rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Mon, 21 May 2007 12:31:01 -0400
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 08:36 +0000, steef wrote:
> > Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:57:42AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > <.............>
> > > As a side note I must say that I have been a member of a volunteer
> > > organization for 11 years and I have seen a bit of the dynamic involved
> > > in such a group. The best "contributors" were mostly the same persons
> > > participating in "off-topic" activities, but still organized within the
> > > "community".
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Andrei
> > >
> > being a list-member for about five or six years I support warmly
> > andrei's opinion on the above topic.
>
> So, then, lets say that a member of Islam has a very "provocative, but
> very accepted in their culture, quote."
>
> Are we going to censor that?
> What kind of retaliation is that going to endure?
>
> You seem to forget, what may be TOTALLY acceptable to one culture, may
> in-fact be COMPLETELY offensive and unacceptable in another.
>
> Such is the case with advertising, ads that go over *VERY* well in the
> UK, are seen as stupid and offensive in the US. And the US ads in the
> UK. So by your reasoning, All ads should become very drawl and
> ineffective in any medium?

Hear, hear.
I made a similar point elsewhere in this thread; many sigs on the list
infuriate me. Should we ban them, because I consider them unnecessarily
rude and offensive? And also, they undeniably waste bandwidth.

> So, how is my .sig now?
> --
> greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
> That was as boring as a performance of "Richard the 3rd" with potatoes for
> actors.

Celejar