Re: vesa display codes (Etch Xorg memory leak?)

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:18:37AM -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> > > You do realize that you may need to compile a custom kernel to enable
> > > support for a given video card..?
> >
> > Not necessarily. It should work if you inlcude the module in your
> > initrd.
>
> How is the initrd going to help if the module does not exist in the
> first place?

You're right, the rivafb module is not compiled, but vesafb is compiled
in and it should work with the correct vga=... There is a nvidiafb
module, maybe the OP can try that?

> What I was saying is that support for his card may have been included in
> whatever kernel he's using .. either built-in or as a module.

Sorry, I thought you were telling him he needs to recompile the kernel.
I missed the "may".

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)