Re: vesa display codes (Etch Xorg memory leak?)

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 02:44:29AM EDT, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:06:39PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
>
> > > I tried:
> > > video=rivafb:1280x960
> > > video=vesafb:1280x960
> > >
> > > but neither worked.
> >
> > You do realize that you may need to compile a custom kernel to enable
> > support for a given video card..?
>
> Not necessarily. It should work if you inlcude the module in your
> initrd.

How is the initrd going to help if the module does not exist in the
first place?

What I was saying is that support for his card may have been included in
whatever kernel he's using .. either built-in or as a module.

The other aspect is that initrd or not .. I have never managed to get
the frame buffer console to start when using atyfb instead of the
generic vesa when compiling it as a module.  But that's a separate
issue.

Thanks,
cga