Re: Upgrade of kernel fails due to lack of space

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 12:19:34AM +0800, Uwe Heinz Rudi Dippel wrote:
> I know, you can always scold me for not enough space. But this is an old box with a small hard disk:
> df -h
> /dev/hda7             133M   93M   33M  74% /
> /dev/hda6              89M  4.1M   80M   5% /tmp
> /dev/hda10            1.4G  1.1G  185M  86% /home
> With too little space (in '/', '/lib', I guess):

* boot up with your install cd and hit rescue mode. netinstall one will
do if you need to d/l
* backup / to /home
* hit your hd with fdisk
  - note down all the start, size details of your partitions
  - nuke partitions 6+
  - recreate all your partitions BUT recreate partition 6 starting at the
    beginning of the old partition 6 and ending at the end of partition
    7. (effectively you're merging / and /tmp)
  - double check everything
  - check it again
  - get some cookies and milk and write out your new partition structure
  - reformat partition 6 only
  - mount it and /home (now hda9) and copy your old root over
  - edit /etc/fstab on your new root and change the partition numbers
    accordingly
  - add /tmp as a tmpfs partition
  - reboot. nervously munch on cookies and scoff down the milk.
* rejoice

alternatively uninstall your old kernel before installing the new one.

or just roll your own. you'll get a kernel that's 2-3meg in size, lives
in /boot and doesn't fsck up your nice, small, tidy root partition.

I use option 3 there. It's a fun way to learn and I like the lack of
complexity a monolithic kernel provides.

it should be noted that this advice comes with no warranty and with the
warning that, more then likely, something will fsck up and you will not
rejoice but, instead, weep bitter tears of dispair. This, in turn, will
lead to soggy cookies and diluted milk. Horrid horrid stuff.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."