efficient retrieval of POP mail [WAS: Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user]

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 05:51:51PM -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:

> If somebody's current provider provides only
> POP, should they be forced to switch to another provider just for
> the privilege of being on this list?

IMAP is better by many measures.  However, if you do not require access
to your mail from multiple computers or multiple mail clients, then POP
is perfectly fine.

As far as having a provider that only provides POP, that is not too
great of a limitation anymore.  The mpop package includes this in its

  o You can pipe the headers of a mail through a filter that decides if
    the mail should be downloaded, skipped, or deleted. This allows to
    delete junk mail from a POP3 server without downloading the entire
    message.

Now, I have never used mpop as I have been using only IMAP for a long
time.  But I imagine that it can be setup in such a way that it will
filter out what you consider to be junk and delete it before you even
have to download it.

For example, if your POP provider has a well trained spamassassin
running and you are not concerned about getting false positives you
could check for the spamassassin headers and delete the flagged spam at
the server.  The same goes for any arbitrary header, including the
subject.

regards,

-Roberto

--