Problems loading modules from init

I'm trying to load modules from an init script that is executing in a
cross-compiled 2.6.21 kernel.  When I try to load a module with the
'modprobe' command - I'm getting a very simple error which is not of
much use:

modprobe -v scsi_mod

The error message is "modprobe:  Failed to load module scsi_mod" and
that's it.  I'd like to see some more detailed information concerning
the error.

I've copied my modules in the /lib/modules dir and everything appears to
be intact that would be needed.

When I use the 'dmesg' command, I do not see anything pertaining to this
failure.  I have also passed in the 'debug' option on the kernel command
line.  This wasn't helpful either.  I also tried looking in
the /var/log/messages file and there is nothing there.

Could anyone please give me some pointers on how to debug things
further?

Thanks,
Dallas