Re: Traffic monitoring in small office

rocky wrote:
On May 17, 8:10 pm, Marty <mar...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
rocky wrote:
>  Hey,

> In my office, we have 11 computers. We have 2 2M broad band accounts
> from our ISP. We use a router combines 2 income cable and use 2 8
> ports switches to make every computer have the Internet access. The
> problem is right now we got very unstable Internet access. Therefore,
> I'm thinking of instead of directly connect 2 switches to router, I
> connect 1 Debian box(has 2 NIC) to the router and then distribute the
> Internet access to all 11 PCs through a 16 port switch which is
> connected to the Debian system. In this way I can install traffic
> monitoring application s on Debian box to analyze the problems. Can
> any of you tell me whether this is a good way to do it please? If it
> is what are the applications I should put in Debian box? If it is not
> a good way, what is your suggestions please?

> Thanks a lotï¼?

> Blessings,
> Rocky

The routing "application" is linux (iptables), with several specific IP and
netfilter drivers/modules.  The easy way is to just throw in all the networking
relates ones, since they don't take up much memory unless you are using an old
PC as your router/firwall, as I do.

There are several applications to configure iptables, a popular choice being
shorewall, although for initial setup guarddog/guidedog might be a little easier
to use.  There are several Debian network monitoring applications, e.g., iptraf
and tcpdump.

Hey,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I forget to tell you we do not get static IP addresses from our ISP.
Since I'm quite new to networking area. Can any of you answer my
following questions please?

1, If I use iptables to throw all of my 2 networking serverce get from
my ISP into one. I will have at least 3 NIC (2 for get onto the WAN
and I for connect to 16 port switch which distribute internet access
to 14 computers), Am I right? Plus, is this doable?

Yes, although I have not done it, so I can't offer any advice. You can check the list archives for threads on this topic. There are many good networking HOWTOs that may help you.

2, If I use the above configuration, does the band width is the sum of
the 2 accounts I got from my ISP?

I don't know.  It depends on many variables.

3, With the above set up and put firewall server on the debian box, do
my Windows XP PCs spared from the virus?

It's probably not sufficient. Some users insist on always having administrator privileges. No firewall will protect against that.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Blessings,
Rocky