Re: Traffic monitoring in small office

rocky wrote:
 Hey,

In my office, we have 11 computers. We have 2 2M broad band accounts
from our ISP. We use a router combines 2 income cable and use 2 8
ports switches to make every computer have the Internet access. The
problem is right now we got very unstable Internet access. Therefore,
I'm thinking of instead of directly connect 2 switches to router, I
connect 1 Debian box(has 2 NIC) to the router and then distribute the
Internet access to all 11 PCs through a 16 port switch which is
connected to the Debian system. In this way I can install traffic
monitoring application s on Debian box to analyze the problems. Can
any of you tell me whether this is a good way to do it please? If it
is what are the applications I should put in Debian box? If it is not
a good way, what is your suggestions please?

Thanks a lotï¼?

Blessings,
Rocky

The routing "application" is linux (iptables), with several specific IP and netfilter drivers/modules. The easy way is to just throw in all the networking relates ones, since they don't take up much memory unless you are using an old PC as your router/firwall, as I do.

There are several applications to configure iptables, a popular choice being shorewall, although for initial setup guarddog/guidedog might be a little easier to use. There are several Debian network monitoring applications, e.g., iptraf and tcpdump.