Re: Preventing delayed USB writes

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 05:21:17PM -0700, pedxing <pedxing@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On May 17, 8:50 pm, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtu...@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > To me, ideally, nothing would be written to the flash at all until
> > either sync or umount.  Yes, I wait.
>
> Yes, I also wait.  Because KDE doesn't give the user any indication of
> how long to wait, the user has to drop to a terminal, run a sync
> command, and wait for the prompt to come back to get any indication of
> when it is ok to remove.

  You may want to take a look at Gnome.  In Gnome, removable devices
are handled like this: an icon appears on the desktop when the device
is inserted.  When you're done with the device, you click on the icon and
select "safely remove".  A window pops up saying "removing device..." or
somesuch, and when it goes away it's safe to remove your device (and the
icon on the desktop is gone).  I don't use Gnome much except as an xterm
launcher, so I can't say more than that, but it looks like this aspect is
pretty well-designed.

  I couldn't believe that KDE doesn't do something like this nowadays --
Gnome has been doing this for at least a couple years IIRC -- so I
downloaded and installed KDE on my desktop to try it out.  Apparently
the only way to get an icon for your removable device is to click on the
"services" tab (intuitively represented by ... a flag?), which shows
attached devices under "storage media" and lets you "safely remove"
the device.  A little green triangle disappears after the device is
unmounted, which I didn't even notice until I'd mounted/unmounted it
several times.

  So, the functionality is present in both UIs, but KDE has chosen a
rather obtuse way of getting at it, IMO.

  Daniel