Re: Packaged version of killfile?

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 11:25:08AM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:01:41PM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:

> > >   OK here's a simple version.
> >
> > That's the sort of thing I was after - but in the mean time I've created
> > my own based on message-ids, as I realised that threading isn't done by
> > subject.
> >
> > It's not perfect (because of other people's broken MUAs) - long threads
> > will end up with mails that do not refer to my "killed" message-id
> > (apparantly MUAs are only required to keep 8 message-ids in References:)
> > still end up in my normal list mailbox.  At least it allow me to check
> > up on Goodwin's law :-)
>
> I'm not sure Godwin's law applies to this list, given at least one OT
> thread that went on & on about or including such references.   To me
> these OT threads seem to be predominantly about religion or other "faith"
> or opinion-based topics, and seem a complete waste of time, not to
> mention resources.  But they also appear to stroke the egos involved, so
> are perhaps a cost in keeping some frequent-and-otherwise-useful posters
> active on the list, and are in any case easily identified and ignorable
> by the "OT" tags.

Ego-stroking or not - I have no time for such irrelevant threads. To me,
they're barely marginally better than spam.  But rather than stoke the
fires and offend, I'd rather silently ignore them.

I do not want to rely on an '[OT]' tag:
- It's not used consistently
- the use of the tag is an admission that the message shouldn't have
  been posted in the first place.

On the other hand, relying on the References: header fall foul to broken
MUAs. I guess I can't have it all...

Oh bummer. Now this thread is going off topic too...  Perhaps I need to
start killfiling my own messages too!!  (I know. I'm mad. bwahahaha.
[/me re-engages alternate personality].)

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/