Re: Bloat in desktop environments

On May 17, 10:10 am, "Masatran, R. Deepak"
<masat...@research.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
> Memory requirements of desktop environments, from
> <http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/>:
>
> * XFCE 4:   128 MB
> * Gnome 2:  384 MB
> * KDE 3:    512 MB

KDE does not require 512 MB of memory to run well.  That URL you cited
seems laughable to me; there is no real data, no testing, etc.  KDE
itself, without actual apps running, can take up about 80 MB of
memory.  From there, it just depends on how many apps you run at the
same time, which is true of any situation.  And remember that when you
use KDE apps, those libs are shared among all of them.

I don't think it would be a good idea to choose the least capable DE
for the default in Debian.  I think KDE should be the default, but
that's just me.