[OT, sorry] Re: keyboard tweaking without X

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On 2007-05-17, Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I do know that to get rid of caps lock completely and make it
> > into a control key so that it's actually *useful*, you can edit (as
> > root, of course) the file /etc/console-tools/remap and uncomment
> > the sed statement found there.
> >
> > Beyond that, you might check out the manuals for dumpkeys(1) and
> > loadkeys(1). You can use them to create a custom keymap.
> > setkeycodes(8) could probably be used to assign keycodes to things
> > that produce garbage, but I could be making that up.

> Thanks I'll look into that. Now that you've inadvertently put me onto
> w3m.el (if a lit student can do it...)

Hehehe...revealing my area of study does actually tend to make
people more receptive to computer-y suggestions, but *less*
receptive to book suggestions! It's really weird. I just don't get
the whole "Oh, you're studying lit., therefore your reading level
must be *far above* mine and I could never enjoy a book *you* would
read" thing. Not saying stuff like that (in other domains; I
obviously wouldn't start talking to myself about how intimidated I
was by me) is *exactly* why I was able to learn *anything* about
computers, because I skipped the whole "Oh, GNU/Linux is just for
computer scientists. Oh, gee, I could never learn how to do this,
because look who *does* know how to do it" thing. I mean, I'm glad
that you liked the tip(s) ( :-) ); I guess I just wish there were
some way of spreading the word that (for example) Linux *is* for
computer scientists, but that doesn't mean it's not also for other
people, or that [whatever I'm reading at a given moment] *is* a
positive contribution to the literary tradition or whatever, but
that doesn't mean that my hypothetical friend the biology major
couldn't enjoy it. I suppose I'm just annoyingly positive about
people's abilities :-) .

> I've finally found a text-based browser that provides all the
> features I need, which drastically reduces my need for X.

Well, good for you! Personally, I like X. It lets me see pretty
pictures in emacs-w3m or iceweasel or whatever (though regular w3m
can display images on the console).

Amy

--
There are three things I always forget. Names, faces -- the third I
can't remember.