Re: etch to lenny upgrade [more info]

On Thursday 17 May 2007 08:42, Randy Patterson wrote:
> I have changed my sources.list to read as below. I just changed the old one
> by changing etch references to lenny.
>
> My current sources.list
>
> deb ftp://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
> When I do, "aptitude upgrade"
>
> debian:/home/randy# aptitude upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Building tag database... Done
> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>   mkisofs
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   libdjvulibre15 libgphoto2-2 libgphoto2-port0 openoffice.org-calc
> openoffice.org-core
>   openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-writer python-uno
>
> <snip>
>
> The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
>   checkpolicy debconf-utils iproute-doc libjaxp1.3-java-gcj
> libxerces2-java-gcj mdetect
>   mime-construct sane-utils setools vcdimager
> 204 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
> Need to get 172kB of archives. After unpacking 32.8MB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
> Writing extended state information... Error!
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the linux-image-2.6.18-4-486 package.
> This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
> E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
>
> I'm not sure how to continue from here?

When I execute;

dpkg -l

I get the following relevant lines of information. [all other lines snipped.]

uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                              Version
Description
+++-======-============================================
ii  linux-image-2.6-486               2.6.18+6                        Linux
kernel 2.6 image on x86
iHR linux-image-2.6.18-4-486          2.6.18.dfsg.1-12etch1           Linux
2.6.18 image on x86

When I type;

aptitude install linux-image-2.6.18-4-486

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description
matched "linux-2.6.18-4-486"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the linux-image-2.6.18-4-486 package. This
might mean you need to manually fix this package.
E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?

I have done all this as root. How do I manually fix the package?

Thanks,
Randy