Re: keyboard tweaking without X

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>
> I'm trying to figure out if I can do without X for my regular
> computing needs. Most of what I do is text-based, primarily
> emacs, mutt, slrn. However, I find emacs in particular is easier
> to deal with in X, as there is better support for function keys.
> Stuff like xmodmap is a great tool, so I can switch caps-lock to
> something useful. And without X some key-chords produce garbage -
> anything with an arrow key is out, for a start. Erm, just
> noticing that even single arrow keys don't work properly - they
> all seem to move the cursor up, and leave behind stray letters as
> they go.

Well, I do know that to get rid of caps lock completely and make it
into a control key so that it's actually *useful*, you can edit (as
root, of course) the file /etc/console-tools/remap and uncomment
the sed statement found there.

Beyond that, you might check out the manuals for dumpkeys(1) and
loadkeys(1). You can use them to create a custom keymap.
setkeycodes(8) could probably be used to assign keycodes to things
that produce garbage, but I could be making that up.

I hope that helps...

Amy

--
bug, n: