Re: Get wirless working

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:19:06AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 16 May 2007, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:51:09 -0400
> > Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> > [...]
> > > >

> > > Oh right, I'm so used to ipw3945. Couldn't he just get the firmware
> > > from Intel's website though?
> > >

> > Yes indeed, and that's what those of us who have that wireless card do.
> > Of course, you have to know where to look, and download the right
> > version, and unzip it into the right location. Ubuntu users do not.
> > That is one of the experiences which appears to have coloured the OP's
> > perception of Debian.
> >

> One way of resolving this is to install Sidux. This gives you an
> authentic Debian and provides nice scripts for downloading and setting
> up ipw3945. Of course, you have to be happy to use Sid once the
> installation is complete.
>
> Anthony

ipw3945 is way too easy. You can just apt-get the
modules/firmware/daemon from Debian's repositories.

I also read that Intel is releasing a new version of firmware for 3945
that doesn't need to use the proprietary regulatory daemon.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative