Re: Get wirless working

On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:51:09 -0400
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 06:31:32AM +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:56:56 -0400
> > Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > > http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=2200&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
> >
> > Whats' more, those modules are included in the standard kernel image
> > these days. The difference however is that Ubuntu packages the
> > firmware, whereas Debian does not. That is likely to confound the
> > uninitiated.
> >

> Oh right, I'm so used to ipw3945. Couldn't he just get the firmware
> from Intel's website though?

Yes indeed, and that's what those of us who have that wireless card do.
Of course, you have to know where to look, and download the right
version, and unzip it into the right location. Ubuntu users do not.
That is one of the experiences which appears to have coloured the OP's
perception of Debian.

--

Liam