Re: creating a debian/etch over a xubuntu installation

Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
| On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:54:51AM +0200, mess-mate wrote:
| > Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
| > | I think you need a kernel for the hda3 and then setup grub.
| > | once you can boot to hda3, then you can erase and reformat hda1 and copy
| > | hda3 to hda1. Then you reconfigure it to boot from hda1. then you can
| > | make hda1 /(root).
| > |
| > Ok, setted-up with debootstrap a etch base system to /dev/hda3
| > (only'/')
| > Installed a kernel, grub and rebooted to my etch setup.
| > Runs as a charm :)
| > But.... how can i copy/move my etch base if i make different
| > partitions after deleting hda1 ?
| > /dev/hda1 = /boot
| > /dev/hda5 = /
| > dev/hda6 = /usr
| > etc...
| >
| > Wihout loose data ?
| It seems what I wrote was not correct. opps.
| Well I guess I was thinking about myself where I keep /home and other
| data seperate from the most of the system. / and /usr are where most of
| the 'instllation' is done. so maybe:
| record what is needed to configure all the program like hostname, mail
| configuration, apache configuration,...
| keep /boot and kernel and initrd
| get a list of all the programs that you use with maybe 'dpkg --get-selections'
| remove all unneeded directories expect /home or other things like
| /var/www?
| This will leave  /home and the list of the packages that you use and
| other user data.
| copy all of hda3 to hda1
| redo fstab to boot from hda1
| redo grub
| reboot to hda1 base install and /home
| install all the needed programs
| THIS IS JUST A SKETCH and needs to be rechecked before doing it.
|
| --
Ok, it's done and runs beautifull :)
The problem was to replace a machine by an other.
So, i bought a barbone with ONLY a HD installed; no other device but
with xubuntu installed.
So from that xubuntu part i've patitioned 300M on hda3 and installed
ther a debian/etch system, big unough to delete the xubuntu system
and replace it over the LAN by the system from the other machine.
This is wat i did but with a dump/restore method.
After installation of the correct kernel on the barbone, the machine
is an exact copy of the other; no matter if the hd, cpu and others
are different.
Thanks to all for the help.
best regards
mess-mate
--

He is now rising from affluence to poverty.
		-- Mark Twain