Re: creating a debian/etch over a xubuntu installation

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:54:51AM +0200, mess-mate wrote:
> Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> | On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 05:24:40PM +0200, mess-mate wrote:
> | > Hi list,
> | > i've a machine with xubuntu installed.
> | > The machine have ONLY a hd partioned like this:
> | > HD = 6000M
> | > hda1= / = 5650M
> | > hda2= swap = 50M
> | > hda3 = 300M
> | > I did a debootstrap on the hda3 partition and the etch base is there
> | > installed.
> | > Have to correct grub to boot etch on hda3, seems not a problem.
> | > But after that how can i reinstall etch on hda1 ?
> | > Maybe a second debootstrap ?
> | > Thanks in advance for any suggestion
> | > mess-mate
> | I think you need a kernel for the hda3 and then setup grub.
> | once you can boot to hda3, then you can erase and reformat hda1 and copy
> | hda3 to hda1. Then you reconfigure it to boot from hda1. then you can
> | make hda1 /(root).
> |
> Ok, setted-up with debootstrap a etch base system to /dev/hda3
> (only'/')
> Installed a kernel, grub and rebooted to my etch setup.
> Runs as a charm :)
> But.... how can i copy/move my etch base if i make different
> partitions after deleting hda1 ?
> /dev/hda1 = /boot
> /dev/hda5 = /
> dev/hda6 = /usr
> etc...
>
> Wihout loose data ?
It seems what I wrote was not correct. opps.
Well I guess I was thinking about myself where I keep /home and other
data seperate from the most of the system. / and /usr are where most of
the 'instllation' is done. so maybe:
record what is needed to configure all the program like hostname, mail
configuration, apache configuration,...
keep /boot and kernel and initrd
get a list of all the programs that you use with maybe 'dpkg --get-selections'
remove all unneeded directories expect /home or other things like
/var/www?
This will leave  /home and the list of the packages that you use and
other user data.
copy all of hda3 to hda1
redo fstab to boot from hda1
redo grub
reboot to hda1 base install and /home
install all the needed programs
THIS IS JUST A SKETCH and needs to be rechecked before doing it.

|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|