Re: Network connections breaking after bootup

On 05/15/2007 03:49 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
On Tuesday 15 May 2007 03:28, Mumia W.. wrote:
I suggest that you dedicate a runlevel, say 3, to debugging this
problem. For RL (runlevel) 3, disable as many services as
possible--making it almost the same as RL 1; then re-enable only those
services that get you basic network connectivity. Note the configuration.

  Just to check.... given that I have edited inittab ... is there a way to
  query from the command line what runlevel I have booted to?

Run /sbin/runlevel. The second number printed is the current runlevel.

Then re-enable more services until network connectivity is broken again.
The last service that you enabled will probably be the culprit.

  I have done so. Even with all of the services removed for runlevel 3
  and rebooted at the runlevel, the connection is still failing after the
first series of pings.
If you look at http://www.johnsons-web.com/demo/debian/
  There are dumps of various snapshots of the system state.
  000README.txt contains notes.

In that case, I think the problem is in the configuration for eth0.

I didn't see you say specifically whether or not you installed the beta
version of Etch. Certainly if you still have the beta Etch, it's a good
idea to update; I know, it's a catch-22 with the network down, but
sneakernet (walking CD-ROMs from one machine to another) is an option.
You could be facing a bug in the beta that has been fixed in the release
version of Etch.
I've installed with debian-40r0-amd64-netinst.iso
Even if that is the correct (stable) version, I'd be happy to re-install...
tim

That is stable; however, there has been at least one kernel update since Etch's release, but it would most likely not fix your problem.