Re: Network connections breaking after bootup

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 10:28:38PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 05/14/2007 12:45 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > I'm going to try to attach a dump of ps -aux as ps.txt
> > I don't know if the list will allow the attachment, but we'll see.
> > It will be easier to read than if pasted into kmail, I think.
> >trying attachment.....
> >tim

come in a bit late but, as far as i understand when you boot up the network
works for a bit and then stop after a short period of time.

We know there are no iptables fulesets in place.  There is only 1 interface.

Some things I would suggest trying

a) Have you tried a tcpdump whilst attempting to ping the default gateway ?
b) have you looked at arp -n after a ping - will tell you if you are
getting/sending arp packets
c) use ifconfig eth0 and check the usage counter whilst trying to ping - will
show you that packets are coming/going from the interface
d) can you ping 127.0.0.1 - see if the stack is working
e) have you loaded any modules that might be affecting this
f) do you have selinux turned on - and played with the policies ?? (wild guess
8)) )
g) I would suggest a slight change to the attack below.
	at the grub boot prompt edit your default boot
	add this as a kernel option    init=/bin/bash

	This will boot your kernel, run your initrd and then run bash instead of
init.

	You will need to mount proc 'mount -t proc /proc /proc' and maybe tmp. Your
root should be mounted ro - shouldn't need to change that.  you should be able
to turn on your networking 'ifup eth0' and test pinging the default gateway.
Now run all the S* files one by one in /etc/rcS.d and test ping between each
one.  Then goto /etc/rc2.d and do the same thing.  Time consuming and a bit of
a pain but it will give you control and let you do what the boot process does.

Some scripts might fail cause they will not be able to write to /, you can
always remount / with 'mount -o remount,rw /'

alex