Re: aptitude wants to install apache

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 18:44:43 +1000, Robert S wrote:
> I am planning to upgrade my sarge box to etch.  The upgrade guide suggests
> running "aptitude" then pressing "g" to resolve dependency problems.  This
> indicates that a number of packages will be removed and that apache,
> apache-common and apache-ssl will be installed.
>
> I have fixed the problem of packages about to be removed (I hope) by
> uninstalling and reinstalling them using aptitude (I used apt-get
> previously).  There's one exception - a locally compiled package that was
> installed using checkinstall.

My guess is that this package depends on specific versions of some
libraries which will be upgraded if you go to Etch. You will probably
have to compile a new version of this custom package after the system
upgrade.

> Also aptitude still wants to install apache* as above.  I've already got
> apache2 installed and don't want version 1.*
>
> How do I tell aptitude not to install/remove these packages, or can I ignore
> these warnings?

That is impossible to tell from the little information that you give us.

The "-D" option of aptitude can be helpful to understand why it wants to
install or remove packages automatically. (You can still cancel before
it actually does something.)

          Florian   |