Re: dpkg-reconfigure of xserver-xorg creates problem for users!

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 22:54:48 +0000, Bruce M. Ward wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> A recent install of the Etch release.
> Root uses 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' to change the video resolutions.
> Root can start X no problems.
> Existing user cannot login with gdm - returns to login box. User can
> login at text console but cannot start X (with startx). Gets 'caught
> signal 11'. User previously had no problems.
> Root creates new user. New user has no problem.
>
> It looks like a permissions problem, but I haven't been able to figure out where ...
>
> Any ideas anyone?
> Can anyone help?

Log in as the problematic user and "startx". After it has crashed run
the following two commands

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

tail -n20 ~/.xsession-errors

and post the output here.

I would furthermore like to see the result of these two things:

lspci | egrep -i 'vga|video|display|graphic'

awk '/Section "Device"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you cannot easily copy/paste this output into a mail as long as your
X is not working then you can append " > somefile.txt" (without the
quotes) to the above commands. This lets you redirect the output to
files which you can copy to another system if necessary.

          Florian   |