Re: aptitude wants to install apache

[ You replied to me personally, probably by accident. I am putting this
  back on the list. I also CC you to make sure that you get this
  message. If you want to continue the discussion, please reply to the
  copy of this message that you get via the list. If your mail program
  does not support "reply-to-list" then you can use "reply-to-all",
  delete my personal address and move the debian-user address from the
  "CC:" to the "TO:" field. ]

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 07:46:34 +1000, Robert S wrote:
> > That is impossible to tell from the little information that you give us.
> >
> > The "-D" option of aptitude can be helpful to understand why it wants to
> > install or remove packages automatically. (You can still cancel before
> > it actually does something.)
> >

> Thanks.  I probably didn't explain the apache problem very well.  Put
> another way (with sources.list pointing to sarge):
>
> # aptitude dist-upgrade -s -D
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
>   apache-common (D: apache, D: apache-ssl, R: apache-common)
>   apache apache-common apache-ssl
> 0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 1741kB of archives. After unpacking 5038kB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
> Would download/install/remove packages.

It looks like apache and apache-common are not installed automatically.
Maybe aptitude remembers a previous request you made (even if it was by
accident). Try to run "aptitude keep-all" and check again with the above
command.

> Maybe this helps, but it doesn't solve the problem:
>
> # apt-cache rdepends apache --installed
> apache
> Reverse Depends:
>  |phpmyadmin
>
> I tried reinstalling phpmyadmin, but I still get the same problem.
>
> also:
>
> # apt-cache rdepends apache-common --installed
> apache-common
> Reverse Depends:
>   apache2-utils
>
> I tried changing my sources.list to etch then running "aptitude
> upgrade -s" - and it didn't seem to try to install apache.  Maybe I should
> just go ahead with this and ignore the problem??

If you want to upgrade to Etch then you will have to do "dist-upgrade"
eventually. Read the release notes and follow all the steps, otherwise
there may be trouble. Also note that there is a section dealing
specifically with apache (section 5.6).

I repeat: DO NOT just change sources.list and run "aptitude
dist-upgrade" without reading the release notes.

          Florian   |