Re: Advise on backing up files in Etch.

On 5/14/07, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 06:44:26PM -0600, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:

> I'd suggest considering rdiff-backup instead. It results in a plain
> unencrypted and uncompressed tree, exactly like rsync, but in addition,
> does real incremental backups. The increments themselves are binary diffs
> and are compressed. It's much nicer than plain rsync with snapshots.

Good point.  What I like about the rsync snapshots is that I can
"browse" back in time.  In my case, I always have hourly snapshots going
back four hours, daily snapshots going back four days and weekly
snapshots going back four weeks.  That works out rather nicely in that
it is trivial for me to compare files across snapshots.

Though I have never tried rsync, I can tell what I use and it is very
simple and straightforward. I use a simple shell script to backup the
files in my home dir to the windows partition as well as mirror it to
a remote ftp server using lftp.

lftp is I think the best tool for remote backups. It supports many
protocols and supports commands from a file, so can be automated
compeltely. It has an option to mirror dirs either way and will only
update the files which have changed.

Try it out, you'll love it. Another cool console ftp client which uses
arrow keys to browse is cftp. Try this out too, tho this is not for
backing up.

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.