Re: Advise on backing up files in Etch.

José,

To recap, you have something like this:

 - backup to external hard drive
 - ~75 GB in /home
 - can be stored unencrypted and uncompressed (I would recommend
   compression only when your storage medium will no longer fit it
   uncompressed)
 - needs to be accessible right away

In that case, I'd recommend rsync.  It will easily work between two
local directories.  You can mount your external hard drive at /backups
(or something like that) and then just periodically rsync your /home to
it.  I used the "Easy Automated Snapshot-Style Backups with Linux and
Rsync" document as a starting point:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I just made some minor tweaks to suit my particular configuration.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez