Re: Advise on backing up files in Etch.

On Sunday 13 May 2007 18:35:38 Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> To recap, you have something like this:
>
>  - backup to external hard drive
>  - ~75 GB in /home
>  - can be stored unencrypted and uncompressed (I would recommend
>    compression only when your storage medium will no longer fit it
>    uncompressed)
>  - needs to be accessible right away
>
> In that case, I'd recommend rsync.  It will easily work between two
> local directories.  You can mount your external hard drive at /backups
> (or something like that) and then just periodically rsync your /home to
> it.  I used the "Easy Automated Snapshot-Style Backups with Linux and
> Rsync" document as a starting point:

I'd suggest considering rdiff-backup instead. It results in a plain
unencrypted and uncompressed tree, exactly like rsync, but in addition,
does real incremental backups. The increments themselves are binary diffs
and are compressed. It's much nicer than plain rsync with snapshots.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>