Re: Best Debian packages

"Deboo ^" <knowledgeful@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/13/07, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 03:02:20AM +0000, Tyler Smith
>
> >   Older versions of aptitude occasionally got confused about what
> > was and wasn't automatically installed if you used other tools.  It
> > shouldn't happen with an up-to-date aptitude as far as I know [0],
> > but if it does, you an easily fix this by just cancelling all the
> > removals (e.g. with "keep-all" or pressing ":" on the group of
> > autoremoved packages).
>
> Thanks, that worked but can/will I need to do it again and again?

No, if this happens again you can go through the list of packages
aptitude wants to remove and mark them as manually installed (m).

Additionally you can go through the packages and mark all you don't
need as automatically installed (with M). This way aptitude will remove
them if nothing depends on them.

The nice thing is you only need to do this once if you continue using
aptitude (even from the commandline).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)