Re: Best Debian packages

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 03:02:20AM +0000, Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> was heard to say:
> On 2007-05-13, Deboo ^ <knowledgeful@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I like aptitude and have it installed too but it doesn't show packages
> > which apt-cache search readily does and shows longer lists than
> > aptitude at times.
>
> That's surprising, since I thought aptitude was built around the apt
> stuff. Which packages can you see with apt-cache that you can't see
> with aptitude?

  He's probably referring to the fact that apt-cache searches both package
names and descriptions, while aptitude only searches package names.  There
isn't an easy workaround other than, e.g., "aptitude search ~nX ~dX".

> > Another problem is, due to my using apt. ( I like aptitude's search
> > feature's telling if the package is already installed or not with the
> > "i"). If I run aptitude to install something, it is ready to remove
> > packages that I use daily, like mutt and slrn. So I do not use it. I
> > was told not to use both, even years ago.
>
> Again, I thought aptitude and apt-get were pretty much
> interchangeable. I do occassionally use apt-get for quick additions
> that I don't need to search for, and I haven't had any trouble going
> back to aptitude. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I thought that was
> how it was supposed to work.

  Older versions of aptitude occasionally got confused about what was and
wasn't automatically installed if you used other tools.  It shouldn't
happen with an up-to-date aptitude as far as I know [0], but if it does, you
an easily fix this by just cancelling all the removals (e.g. with "keep-all"
or pressing ":" on the group of autoremoved packages).

  Daniel

  [0] there's one funky corner case that can't really be fixed without
      changes in dpkg, but it takes effort to trip.